Monday, February 12, 2007

Our plans this week...

We are planning to move back to our house in GA over this weekend & next so we will be packing most of the week. But the kids are being so good about being uprooted once again (even if it is familiar territory this time) that I wanted to do something special for them this week to say good0bye to their friends (it is temporary, we will be back here but it will still be for a few months at least). So anyway, on to our plans. The girls have been working on a Story Starter from Karen Andreola's book, we have also shared the first story with their friends and they are also working on a story. We will have a Valentine's Day Tea Luncheon on Wednesday so they can read their stories and exchange Valentine's. In case you are wondering, my boys LOVE tea parties also. So here is our menu:

scones w/ fresh butter, lemon curd, and strawberry preserves
tea sandwiches (cream cheese & cucumber, tuna, cheese & tomato, and chicken salad)
crudite platter w/ ranch & blue cheese dip
fruit salad
potato and leek soup
tea cookies (the variety pack from Pepperidge Farms)
Edom Chaos (not sure if I spelled that correctly, this is my favorite dessert at the tea room in Chatt, TN. It is fresh whipped cream, meringue cookies, and strawberries all mixed together, YUM!)
Brownies
And I think my 7 yo chef will be making either cookies or a cake, she hasn't decided yet.

And of course it will be served with piping hot Earl Grey tea w/ cream & sugar.
We are also making a Minty Fruit Iced Tea w/ the cutest heart shaped ice cubes b/c a few do not care for tea.

It sounds yummy (I'm pregnant, it's all about the food to me these days) but it is all so easy & quick to make. Except the scones which I am going to try to make today. I wish the tea room in Chattanooga was closer so I could just go buy some buy no such luck & they are too good to skip so I will make them.

Anyway, the food is not really the focal point, I was just trying to make it authentic. I really hope all of the children enjoy each others company while they share their stories. I am anxious to hear what each girl has written, how they each will have a different spin on how the story plays out.

In case you haven't heard of this book, it's called Story Starters by Karen Andreola. The basic idea is to give the kids the beginning of a story with a picture and they take the story & their imagination and make it their own. The first draft is purely their story, their imagination, no critics, no spelling errors, no grammar, just get the story onto paper. The next draft cleans up the spelling, the grammar, the punctuation, and the flow of the story. The final draft is written in their best handwriting so from each story your child gleans creative writing , grammar, spelling, and handwriting practice. And they just think they are writing stories!

So while they help prepare our menu (math and home economics) and then read their stories aloud (public speaking) and have a tea party with their friends (etiquette and socialization) while listening to Mozart (composer study) they will be increasing their education. And they think they get the day off. Isn't homeschooling the best!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I thought it was dying but turns out it just was not mailing me notifications of comments.

I looked at Story Starters and loved it. I hope I can remember all the great resources when the girls are old enough to read and write.

Susan said...

I can see that morning sickness is not going to get you down!! :o)