Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A completed Craft


I love trying new things, branching out of my comfort zone and trying to pretend I'm creative. I'm not really. Most, if not all, of my ideas are inspired from others. I am fortunate to have some crafty friends and have browsed many crafty blogs. There are some very talented woman out there and I am learning so much from them. This year I am delving into knitting and sewing, things I have never tried before. I also wanted to try embroidery. I am currently working on projects in each area but I needed something I could complete in a short amount of time that would leave me feeling accomplished. Follow through is really not my strong point. So today I decided to try an embroidery project, something simple but useful. Just a little background...



I am using cloth diapers on Autumn, I love them, they are so adorable and I really don't like dressing her in onesies or anything that covers up those cute diapers. So I purchased some white t-shirts for her from Walmart. This was so boring, like she wasn't dressed, just hanging out in her jammies all day. So for my project today I decided to dye 4 of the t-shirts yellow and embroider a simple design on the front. Nothing complicated, just simple and cute. So here's what I did and how I did it if you are interested.




First, I love natural dye's so I didn't want to buy a boxed dye. I decided to soak the t-shirts in boiling water with Turmeric and vinegar. I let them soak until the t-shirts were a bit darker than I wanted. Then I washed them with a small amount of bleach to soften the color. They turned out great, the color of butter. Can you tell from the picture?




After they were dry I stuck them in an embroidery hoop & drew a simple design on the front of the t-shirt. I found the design of this ice cream cone on a piece of fabric and it looked simple enough.




Next, I chose my thread colors and started stitching. I don't know much about embroidery stitches so this was just a stitch I had in my head that I wanted to try. I'm happy with the way it turned out.




The girls decided to join in, Abby has drawn her design on a t-shirt and Erin has picked out her design but has yet to draw it. I will post theirs when they finish.










But in the meantime, here is the finished product.

Voila!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! You just pick up and there you go! Easy as that.

Never never never say you're not creative. EVERYone is creative, even if only in ways of saying how NOT creative they are! :) (you're not one of those!)

Besides, there are no truly original ideas. Someone somewhere has already done it.

momof3girls said...

These are just beautiful! You did such a great job-and creating your own design! Wow! Keep up the good work.
Tammy