Thursday, January 31, 2008

A New Branch



I think I mentioned in one of my previous posts that I like to branch out and try new things. This year I've been trying new handicrafts. I'm not into potholders, etc. because I need my time invested in a project to improve something in my life. I've never been into decorating my home and I've used the excuse that I just couldn't afford to do what I wanted so why bother. Also, we move so much it seemed like a lot of effort to have to pack it back up again before too long. Although there is a possible move in our future, I decided to go for it anyway. In the past year I have tried to add things to the walls, framed family photos, stuff like that. And after some reflection I realized that the money factor was really an excuse, it is the lack of skill that has been intimidating me. It doesn't have to be expensive. So I've had some motivators lately. My husband bought some bamboo knitting needles and a sewing machine for me for Christmas. This has been so encouraging, it was as if he said, "Just try!" So that's what I'm doing. I have many projects I want to try but I am learning to go slow so I don't get overwhelmed and discouraged.
If you read yesterday's post you know that I am a new aunt again and I want to make something special for Naomi Promise so she will know that even though she is my 5th niece from the Hooker family and the 9th granddaughter for my parents, she is just as much a blessing as my first niece.


Also, we have been having quite a time with our little Katy lately. She used to sleep in her crib every night but when Autumn arrived we moved Katy into our bed to pass the crib down to Autumn. Katy has been having a very tough time not having a bed of her own. It seems I have also dropped our bedtime routine during the new baby and move. She really needs something special, that is all hers. Eric has decided to build a toddler bed for her, I bought a new mattress and some sheets, and I wanted to make a blanket for her bed. I couldn't find anything that I thought was really cute for a toddler bed. It was mostly just character bedding that I'm not crazy about. So I decided to make it for her. I made hers first so I could work out the kinks on her blanket and not Naomi's.


Aside from the obvious, the little extra touches I added were to dye the lace trim in tea so it would have a more antique feel, I also embroidered (not very well) her name on the corner. It came together easily but was much larger than I anticipated and the lace trim was a bit of a challenge. I really enjoyed making this and I hope I've improved my skill so Naomi's will not have as many hidden mistakes.


I'll post pictures of the complete ensemble when Eric finishes her bed. I have more plans for her bed and bedding but will see what time allows.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! Great fabrics!

Susan said...

How BEAUTIFUL!!

Anonymous said...

How lovely! Great job!