Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Nature Walk

Our first assignment for the Green Hour Challenge was to take a 10 to 15 min nature walk, look and observe and upon returning discuss 2 things observed, maybe learn a bit more about them. So, for our walk we hopped in the car & took off for Big Lagoon State Park. Half way there I remembered there was a park entrance fee, ugh, I had no money on me and I was nowhere near my bank. OK, so we turned around and ventured home. We live in a cul-de-sac, lots of houses, very little nature...or so I thought.


It was beautiful outside and we decided to stroll the cul-de-sac to see what we could see. We found so many things that I have seen my whole life but had no idea what they were. We chose 2 to identify upon returning home.


First, this is a seed from a Sweet Gum Tree.


Second, this is such a sweet smelling flower, my girls were sure it was a variety of honeysuckle but I'm fairly certain it's not. We have yet to identify this flower. Any guesses? I can't seem to find them in any of our field guides.


But I was so excited about the Sweet Gum Tree. The kids all had a blast and have asked to go for a walk every day since. We haven't made it out that often but that is my fault, not theirs. They collected treasures, I love displaying natural materials in the house. They did a great job and had a lot of fun. The girls took turns taking pictures and then were quick to post on their blogs here and here about their view of our walk.
I am a little behind because I think assignment #2 is well under way. My head has been in crafting mode lately and I need these nature challenges to get out of the house, breathe some fresh air, and remember why I love living in Florida. I get so involved in my obsession du jour that all else is forgotten. I am glad to have these challenges so I will be sure to get out and see what is happening in the "real" world.
On a nature related note, we are currently studying the moon in Astronomy so the girls used their blogs to post a narration of their experience and knowledge of the recent lunar eclipse. You can read that here and here.

3 comments:

Tina in WA said...

I love the pictures of the sweet gum tree! Amazing!

I showed them to my son and he said you can't throw those ones because they would really hurt.

Now we are off to find a picture of the full tree.

Thanks for sharing your walk with us.

~Tina

Barb said...

Somehow I must have missed your post.

Your family did a great job on their first challenge. I'm not sure what the flower is but it is very pretty.

I hope to see you around the Green Hour challenges again soon. Don't worry about catching up, just start with the next challenge. :)

Barb-Harmony Art Mom

Dana Leeds said...

I love the photo of the sweet gum, too. We have one at the park that was starting to leaf out a few weeks ago and I've been meaning to make it back. It looked so neat!

I love the look of your photos with the white "roughed up" edges.