Friday, February 15, 2008

Recent finished projects



Abby has been enjoying trying her hand at different handicrafts. She made this sweet bag for 2 yr old Katy...







...and knit this little hat for Autumn as Valentine's gifts.


And this is my first completed knitting project. I know it's hideous, but I learned sooo much from doing this. First, the weight of the yarn really is important. The pattern called for a lightweight cotton and I used a heavy boucle because I had it on hand. It is supposed to be a lightweight summer top but it works better as a winter vest. Second, it does make a difference if you knit 1 row, purl 1 row & then switch to purl 1 row, purl 1 row even though the directions do not tell you to switch, oops! Third, in my important things learned, it does matter if the front & back sides line up. Fourth, I really should measure a few things every now and then, such as, how far apart the shoulder straps are versus the size of her shoulders. And Fifth, but most important, I found that I really like knitting and the feeling of accomplishment at a finished project is very satisfying. I am eager to try something new & put in to practice the many things I learned on this first knitting venture. Oh, btw, Lori, I embroidered the buttons. And as a side note, please don't tell Katy it's hideous, she loves it, I couldn't be more pleased!

2 comments:

Susan said...

Fantastic!!! I organize and research everything for starting a new handicraft or project but then procrastinate in actually doing it. I'm hoping to get better at that part. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Oooo, I love it. It looks great! I dont' see one iota of hideosity about it. A closeup of the embroidered button, s'il vous plait. You know I will love them.