Monday, February 18, 2008

Strange Brew

Strange and bizarre foods are brewing in the Cashen kitchen and I thought I would share...

First of all we have found a fabulous source for fresh from the cow milk and I have had kefir grains waiting for just this kind of milk. So what do you do with kefir grains?

Make kefir of course...

What is kefir? Check out The Happy Herbalist for lots of good info explained so much better than I could. I'll just tell you it's delicious and very good for you.

OK, so now I've made kefir, what do I do with it?

Well, the options are almost limitless. Substitute kefir for yogurt, milk, or sourdough starter. This is what we are making with our kefir:

Luscious Kefir Cookies
And if your eyes are good, here is the recipe:



Cream cheese and whey

The cream cheese will top our yummy bread and the whey will be used to make fermented carrots and sauerkraut, yum!



"Quick" SourdoughBread

The "sour" in this recipe comes from the kefir. "Quick" means you don't have to wait 7 days for a starter to ferment, just overnight.

Aside from kefir, we also have kombucha brewing on our counter. When we are very, very good, this replaces the junky, sugar-filled sodas we sometimes indulge in.

Whole Wheat Sourdough Starter, this is something new for me. I have never successfully made my own sourdough starter. It should be ready on Saturday so I'll keep you posted.




Here we have soaked hulled buckwheat, drained and rinsed. It is in day one of sprouting so no visible sprouts just yet. We will use this to make a living granola in the dehydrator.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I *really* miss kefir.

I'm interested in that quick sourdough bread. Tell me how it goes (or blog it!)